Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Start of A New Year

As a mom, each day feels the same. Day in and day out I deal with the same things. The squabbles between the boys are the same. The "potty" talk is the same. The talking back is the same.

Well, a new year is upon us and I want things to not be the same. We are going to be trying some new things around our house. Things with organization, discipline, self-control and most importantly, teaching Christ.

It is easy to focus on needing to put out the small fires that erupt around the house without dealing with the reason they are there. Most days I feel like a referee, constantly intervening. This year is going to be about the HEART. I want my boys to understand that what comes out of there mouths comes directly from their heart. I want to teach them to be loving, forgiving, patient, kind, and thoughtful.

Honestly, these are all areas that I need to work on too.  Especially where they are concerned. Its so easy to be impatient, unkind, hard-hearted, thoughtless. I never want my kids to look back and question whether or not they were loved and cared for.

I also want to have an attitude of thankfulness. It is so easy to become dissatisfied with what we have, envious of others and generally discontent. We are going to try to think of one thing each day that we are thankful for. Somethings will be big while others will seem small and almost foolish. But the goal is to look for things to be grateful for.

Yesterday I was grateful for an easy trip home. Only one child slept on the three hour drive but no one cried or screamed. It was almost peaceful. It was rather uneventful. But I am grateful nonetheless.

Stick around and follow how our year of change goes. We can use all the encouragement and prayer we can get. Let us know how it is going for you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0